Saturday, April 16, 2011

Thing 3 - Blogs

WHY LEARN TO BLOG
It is a place for Reflection -
  1. After looking at others blogs I know I have to keep text short. Blogs support the work I do by being a fast place to find ideas and lessons from the past. But, it must be brief and organized.
  2. I am trying to tell a story about students.  I am hoping by using my story as example, my students will write their own.   Most are ESL students so need practice reading and writing.  
  3. I am not concerned about students publishing work, but I am concerned about their ability to create exciting innovative ideas that others want to read.  Posting on blogs can motivate that work. And not only posting words, but posting graphics which drive thinking.




CS SIDEBAR



WHY LEARN TO PROGRAM
It is Empowering!

I have been saying that since I first started teaching computer science using LOGO at Willowridge High School in Houston in the 1980s. It is empowering to switch to the HTML tab and code what I can't control using the Compose tab.

Wilber just might get closer to Harvard as my third education law relating to CS was passed by the Texas SBOE.  Designing solutions to problems using programming languages is now part of the standards.  Now to figure out how I am going to help and motivate Wilber  to reflect on what he learns and help him reach his goals.  He is now starting the age in school where he has choices.  I hope computer science is part of that world. I hope that blogging can help make Harvard a reality.

1 comment:

  1. Hi and thank you for sending me a message. To answer your question that you asked on my blog...no, I have never considered learning to program a computer. Truthfully, I have no interest in the mechanics of most things. There is no other reason beyond that. I know I could if I chose to. I just don't find it interesting. I am, however, finding this online course VERY interesting. I am learning a lot about things that I didn't take the time to discover on my own. : )

    ReplyDelete